Dog & Puppy Training, Monmouth County, New Jersey
Improve your pet's overall behavior with dog and puppy training from our staff in Ocean Township, New Jersey. At Champion K-9, we customize your pet's training to address its specific behavior problems.
All Breeds/All Ages
- Puppy Training ( 8 weeks & up ): A critical time period to
get a head start and to prevent future problems. Our unique program for
young puppies, and their new owners, lays the foundation for many happy
years with your new pet. Subjects covered include; Housebreaking, proper
care, correct forms of discipline necessary to teach rules, the use of
praise and affection as a teaching tool, and much, much, more. Of all
our services, this may be the most valuable. Puppy training with Champion K-9
can avoid serious problems that later need to be addressed. Families
with children and first time dog owners will find that this service is
invaluable in getting off to a good start with your new best friend.
- ( Please be aware that you should not take your 8-11 week old puppy to a public "class". Your puppy has not been fully innoculated and runs the risk of contracting a serious illness at such a "class". Champion K-9 offers private puppy sessions at your home so that you do not miss this critical time period in teaching your puppy AND you do not have to worry about any contagion risk to your puppy. Please consult your veterinarian about when your puppy is fully inoculated. )
- Obedience Training: Basic and Advanced off-leash. This is not
just a typical program of the standard commands. This is an educational
experience for you and the entire family, which you will all enjoy as
you see the steady progress your pet makes in a relatively short period
- Basic Obedience: Up to 9 private sessions. Basic commands: Heel, Sit, Down, Stay, Come. The course is comprehensive. It will also address common problems such as jumping on people, destructive chewing, unruly behavior in public. Our basic philosophy is, that if your dog will not sit calmly when people enter the house, or Stay where you put them for their own safety, then the training in not useful in real life. Our Basic course achieves more than most advanced courses with other training services
- Short Course Obedience: Five private sessions. This is an abbreviated course that is entirely customized to deal with the owner's concerns. It can be used to deal with both behavior issues as well as establishing basic commands. It is not as extensive as the 'Basic' course but it offers the owner valuable basics in control, setting rules, and teaching commands. It can be extended into the full 'Basic' course, and many who choose the short course intitially opt to continue as a 'Basic' course.
- Advanced Obedience: These courses take the dog to another level of training. Advanced obedience includes the use of hand signals and working at distances from the dog. We also increase the level of difficulty ( ie. locations and distractions) in order to fine tune your dog's performance.
- All Breeds: Small and Large. We at Champion K-9 adjust the training to each dog. We work with the smallest toy breeds as well as the largest working dogs.
- All Ages: Adults and Puppies. Until the onset of old age, there
is no such thing as a dog being "too old" to train. We routinely work
with dogs 2 to 5 years of age. Some with long term behavioral issues.
- Behavior Problems: Housebreaking, nipping, jumping,
destructive chewing, stealing and guarding food, excessive barking,
bolting out the door, aggressive behavior, fearful behaviors, separation
- Behavior Modification / Problem Solving Session: Champion K-9
offers the unique service of a single session for solving common
behavioral issues. We have been highly successful in achieving excellent
results for such issues as, Housebreaking (even in older dogs),
territorial marking in the home, Separation Anxiety, inter-dog
aggression in a multi-dog household, general bad behaviors such as
jumping on kitchen counters and tables, destructive behaviors. This
session is approximately 2 hours long and, after taking a detailed
history, we give the owners very specific advice on alleviating the
problems. As with all our services, there are detailed printed notes
given to owners.
- Champion K-9 also works extensively with serious behavioral issues such as aggression directed at humans and/or other dogs. Many of these cases are direct referral from local veterinarians.
- Personal & Home Protection: This is a highly
discretionary service for people who have a true need for such security.
Our training in this discipline produces only a dog trained to protect
fearlessly under full control of the owner and NOT an aggressive dog.
- Tracking & Retrieving: A fully customized program designed to prepare a candidate for search and rescue work. Several dogs prepared by Champion K-9 have been and are being used as certified Search and Rescue dogs.
- Puppy Temperament Testing: A series of tests designed to
determine the dominance and working ability of pups prior to leaving
their mother. This is a useful service for breeders as well as for
prospective owners who want to make the best choice possible of a new
- Private In-Home Service; Highly flexible days and hours for appointments at your convenience. Champion K-9
specializes in strictly private training. Your dog will probably spend
90% of its time in the home, and the home is where you need your dog to
understand the rules of the house. Dogs are also known to animal
behaviorists as "area specific learners". That is, they view the area
where the majority of the training takes place as the area they are to
perform at their optimum level. In-home service allows us to see exactly
how the family interacts with the dog and make the best
recommendations. We routinely see many clients who have already attended
group sessions, only to see that the results were poor. There are
several reasons for this. One is that your dog needs as few distractions
as possible in order to initially learn what it is we (and you) are
trying to teach. Distractions should only be added into the training
after your dog has learned the meanings of the commands. Another reason
is time available to the trainer to work with each owner. Obviously this
is very limited in any group session.
- Lifetime Follow-up: We at Champion K-9 do not consider
our relationship with our clients to be only for the length of the
training course. We know that your dog is a long term commitment on your
part, and a loved and valuable member of your family. Therefore, we
maintain an open policy of lifetime consultation on any and all issues
that may arise with your dog.
For more information about our programs and services, please call us at (732) 775-8083.